Sahana Research & Action innovates impact-based tools and implements cost effective solutions addressing disaster and humanitarian management challenges, throughout the world. We use free and open source technologies as well as agile, iterative design approaches. The insights and feedback we generate is used by Sahana's community of software developers and disaster management professionals to make increasingly useful, usable and economical tools for disaster risk reduction and disaster resource management.
Imagery for communicating disaster-related messages to the linguistically challenged (Concept).
- Pictographs in Disaster Information Communication for the Linguistically Challenged is a core-recognition project, funded by the Humanitarian Innovation Fund of UK, carried out in partnership with Microsoft Research India, ExCiteS Lab of the University College London, and the Industrial Design Center of the Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay. [July 2016 - July 2017]
Risk-based warning and situation-awareness system build using the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) international standard.
- Making use of the Global CAP Data feeds to find trends and other probabilistic events of interest in the data streams for informing climate change and disaster planning.
- Interactive Voice Response integration with Sahana CAP-enabled warning and SITREP-enabled incident reporting (funded by the Humanitarian Innovation Fund and the Kubatana Trust of Zimbabwe) [October 2011 - June 2012]
- Sahana CAP-enabled alerting module to complement a Real-Time Biosurveillance Program in India and Sri Lanka (funded by IDRC) [June 2008 - December 2010]
- Use of CAP and five wireless ICTs, in the HazInfo project, for bridging the last-mile and to pilot test Multi-language Multi-media warning in Sri Lanka (funded by IDRC) [December 2005 - March 2008]
- "CAP on a Map" project, to improve coastal resilience through a cross-agency situatioanal-awareness platform in Myanmar, Philippines, and Maldives (funded by UNESCAP) [January 2015 - October 2016]
- ITU CAP Software and Training Module for the International Telecommunication Union Asia Pacific Regional Office to use in promoting the ITU-T X.1303 Common Alerting Protocol warning standard among member States (funded by ITU Bangkok Project Office). [April 2014 - July 2014]
Sahana First Response (coming soon)
Simple Incident management solutions for Emergency Operations Centers.
Additional Areas of Interest
- Communities of Practice Investigates the use of Technology Stewardship and Communities of Practice approach to fostering acceptable and sustainable National Sahana deployments.
- Damage and Loss assessment using alternative and unconventional data streams
- Knowledge Mobilization using digitization, data processing, and information sharing techniques
- Live-exercises and Simulations that test Disaster ICT interoperability
Nuwan Waidyanatha, firstname.lastname@example.org, Sahana Software Foundation
Lutz Frommberger, email@example.com, Sahana Software Foundation