What SAMBRO does
Built on the Sahana Eden framework, SAMBRO is a messaging broker designed to Publish and Subscribe Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) warnings. CAP is an International standard designed for all-Hazards all-Media.
- Deliver the SAMBRO platform to share a common operating picture to improve coordination among multiple-agencies
- Introduce standards for interoperability to foster common policies and practices
- Deploy, support and continue to improve the SAMBRO technology for integrated risk assessment and early warning
- Cultivate CAP Stewardship and a Community of Practice in Asian and the Pacific Region
- Make the SAMBRO a superior Sahana product developed and maintained by a Sahana Center for Excellence at Asian Institute of Technology Geoinformatics Centre
- Provide training aids for system administrators, implementers, emergency managers, and other users to easyly adopt SAMBRO into their emergency communication practices
- SAMBRO to function as stand alone computing application on any computing device (e.g. laptop and an IVR or GSM-modem) as well as hosted on an Intra or the Inter -net.
Warning and Situational-Awareness
Under a well-developed disaster management system, the Disaster Management Organization(s) of a Country should be aware of and should map every significant emergency incident or risk in the country. Disseminating such information among multiple agencies with disparate systems can be complicated. Multi-Agency Situational-Awareness (MASA) platforms facilitate the integration of silo-ed Organizations and dilutes inter-agency rivalry at every level of a National warning and incident management system. Such a platform that incorporates the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) standard is far more likely to interoperate with National and International warning systems. Moreover, the CAP content standard lays out emergency policies and procedures for streamlined information sharing among multiple agencies.The World Meteorological Organization, International Telecommunication Union, and OASIS (Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards) are advocates of CAP and continue to promote the adoption of the warning standard. Sahana Alerting and Messaging Broker (SAMBRO) is essentially a Sahana Eden template designed for Multi-Agency Situational-Awareness. Moreover, it adopts the CAP standard for Sahana to interoperate with other warning systems.
Deployments To Date
"CAP on a Map" project made possible through the UN-ESCAP Multi-donor Trust-fund
This project is supported by Elrha’s Humanitarian Innovation Fund - a grant making facility supporting organisations and individuals to identify, nurture and share - innovative and scalable solutions to the most pressing challenges facing effective humanitarian assistance. - The Humanitarian Innovation Fund is a programme of Elrha and is funded by aid from the UK Government and the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA).